Friday, August 26, 2011

The Last of It's Kind

Talk about a strange and great day. First thing in the morning, I had to relocate a captured groundhog that was terrorising  the neighborhood. Drove ten miles to make sure he does not make his way back. At one o’clock attended a party with a few guys from my childhood and High School. They called it a “Man Party”. Lots of old stories and memories, It was fun.

Left around five o’clock and drove to our local community college to visit my artist friend Mike Molnar, a true master. While observing the class, the one thing that hit me is how slow and meticulous everyone was painting. It will take each student a whole semester to complete their art. Too slow for me, it was time to leave.

During my ten years of teaching art, It has become natural to complete a painting by the end of the class.  I like my fast broad strokes and painterly style. Even my masterworks, which require more detail, have to be completed in due time.

In 1995, I created a painting which took almost six months. “A Nickel Tour of Lancaster County”. It was the grand finale of the large detailed acrylic one hair brush painting. Pure drudgery, like building the pyramids.  The last of it’s kind. If you think I’m kidding, check it out!

Stacks_image_904_1

No comments: