Monday, July 25, 2011

Another Reason to be a Daily Painter

I'm in Charleston S.C. On the south end of King Street was an art gallery called Sophisticated Whimsy. They sold four paintings of mine, all tropical because it was an island style gallery and a good one. Sanibel Island, Miami, Key West, and most likely every city in Florida or possibly every state has an Island Style Gallery.

Last year they called to inform me that they were closing the gallery. I was not surprised they blamed the economy. I made a special trip to Charleston to pick up my unsold paintings. The cost of the trip reduced the profits of the four sold paintings.
The building is now vacant, Sophisticated Whimsy, is still painted on the window,as if the tenant is waiting for them to return. Sadly, I'm not.

Another reason to be a daily painter, I love the independence of being a daily painter.
No gallery, no worry about the gallery closing. No special one thousand mile trip. No commissions, a perfect transaction between me and an art patron.

On the other hand, the art gallery is important for the big sales of my "masterworks". These are the people who negotiate with our art patrons. Most represent us well and should be a part of our art business strategy.

Charleston is a big art community with many galleries. Time to peruse the galleries to see which one is a good fit for my art.

No comments: